Sunday 6 May 2012

Sheet metal

I wanted to see if I could use the sheet metal to create something similar to the amulets which I had seen at The Pitt Rivers. Particularly the ones which were of people and animals.

Metal amulets - Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford





The metal was easy to cut, using scissors. I used a copper hammer and a mini anvil to pound the metal. Not only did this flatten it but it also gave it a distressed, aged look and got rid of the severe scissor edge. I used different tools to etch, scratch and create patterns in the metal. Finally, I added oil paint with a sponge which gave the metal a burnished look and aged feel.

I made the following animal amulets and researched superstitions related to the animals:

Monkey
An amulet carried during exams or tests to allow the person the ability to think through complex problems.




Fish
Wise and knowledgeable. Given to a person by someone who as told them a secret and want them to be silenced.




Donkey
The hairs from a donkey's cross were cures for ailments. Worn in a charm around the neck to guard against whooping-cough,toothache, fits and to ease teething in babies; sometimes the hairs were eaten in a sandwich!














Crocodile
Crocodile blood cures eye problems and snakebites.




This technique was simple and I think it is something which would be good to try in the workshop at the museum.


Link to the Small Blessings blog  http://pittrivers-amulets.blogspot.co.uk/

Link to the Flickr page  http://www.flickr.com/photos/76253275@N03/sets/72157629496147470/

Photos to follow...


No comments: