Wednesday 7 August 2013

Planes, trains and automobiles... Well, just planes actually.



I love making Airfix models, so you can imagine how excited I was to find some cotton fabric with an aeroplane print on it. At the time I bought it, I hadn't started making clothes, so just bought enough for patchwork or something small I could whip up like a pencil case.

However, I have recently become hooked on dressmaking after attending a 10 week course. It's quite nice to play around with smaller projects, as it allows me to try out new techniques such as applying bias-binding, sleeves, working with stretch fabrics and elastic etc.

So, back to the aeroplane fabric.
I ummed and arred and finally decided to make a simple 60's style top. I found and downloaded the pattern here http://www.coletterie.com/colette-patterns-news/free-pattern-to-download-the-sorbetto-top

However, disaster struck when I discovered that both pieces needed to be placed on the fold, which meant I was about 25cm short of a front & back. So after much deliberation I plummeted for a light-weight linen fabric for the back. I wasn't sure if this would look ok, but thought I'd give it a try.


I think I'm quite happy with it, although I might try adding some darts in the back (to give it a more fitted look), if I make another.



The front has a box pleat down the centre, I added three vintage buttons.


I can always wear it when making my next Airfix model.





1 comment:

Daddy said...

When did you become interested in Airfix models? I want to get back into making something.